If you are a victim of sexual assault or domestic violence, go to your nearest Emergency department and ask to see the Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence (SA/DV) nurse. The SA/DV team is available 24 hours-a-day, seven days-a-week.
Do you need our help?
Seek treatment from a SA/DV nurse if:
- You’re 14 or older and a sexual assault took place in the last 12 days;
- You’re 14 or older and a domestic/intimate partner assault/violence/abuse took place in the last 12 days or your injuries are still present/ongoing;
- You’re under 14 and you experienced sexual assault or sexual abuse at any time in the past (no time frame limitations)
How to find us
To access this care; go to the Emergency Department at Kingston Health Sciences Centre - Kingston General site or Hotel Dieu site; or Lennox and Addington County General Hospital (Napanee) and ask for the SADV nurse on-call.
Services are available to both Adult (14 years and greater) and Paediatric (under 14 years) age groups. Paediatric care is only available at the Kingston General Hospital site.
Care is provided in a secure treatment room to protect our clients' privacy and safety; by a team of specially trained dedicated staff available 24/7.
Medical Care Options:
- Pregnancy testing & prophylaxis;
- Drug-Facilitated Sexual Assault (DFSA) screening
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing & prophylaxis;
- HIV testing & prophylaxis
- Tetanus & Hepatitis B prophylaxis and/or vaccines
- Documentation & Treatment of injuries;
- Forensic evidence collection (including Sexual Assault Evidence Kit & Photographs) - for police
- Follow-up clinic
Counselling Care Options:
- Acute Trauma Specialized Counselling
- Safety planning/Risk assessment
- Referral to and coordination with community services & resources
Outside of the 12 days timeline? We can assist with referrals to community partnered agencies & resources specialized in the care of survivors. Click here for community brochure
Additional Resources Available: