General records and non-health personal information (GR & PI)
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA)
The purpose of FIPPA is to provide access to information under the control of the hospital and to protect the privacy of individuals with respect to personal information about themselves within the hospital.
FIPPA applies to records that come into the custody or control of a hospital on or after January 1, 2007, unless the record is subject to exclusion under the Act. The Act provides individuals with the right to:
- access their (non-health) personal information held by the hospital;
- access general records about the management and operation of the hospital;
- correct their personal information.
This right of access promotes accountability but recognizes specific exemptions and exclusions that are necessary to preserve the privacy of personal information.
What kinds of records are available?
To view a list of the types of records held by the hospital click on the following:
Records Inventory List
- a list of the types of documents found in various offices throughout the hospital listed by the office most responsible for them.
KGH Personal Information banks
- a collection of personal information that is organized or retrievable by the name of an individual or by an identifying number, symbol or other particular assigned to an individual.
We already have some documents available to view on line:
- KGH Travel and Hospitality Policy, Executive Travel Hospitality Report, Hospital Services Accountability Agreements, Performance Improvement Plans, Quality Improvement Plan, Supervisor’s Report December 2009 and Investigator’s Report June 2008
under Patient Safety Indicators
- Public Health Ontario (formerly OAHPP) Infection Control Resource Team Report, Central line bloodstream infections (CLI), Clostridium difficile Associated Disease (C. difficile), Hand hygiene compliance, Hospital standardized mortality ratio (mortality rates), Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Surgical safety checklist (SSCL), Surgical site infections (SSI) prevention, Vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE), Ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP)
What records are not covered by the Act?
Records that are subject to exclusion under the Act include:
the appointments or privileges of health professionals
regulated health professionals’ private practice records
research and teaching records
hospital foundation and charitable donation records
records relating to the provision of abortion services
Other records that relate primarily to patient safety and risk management may qualify for an exemption from disclosure under other provisions of the Act.
How to make a request
Please click on the "How to make a request" link to find out:
Who can make a request?
How long does it take to process a request?
What is the process for making a request?
Can I appeal what information is provided under my request?