DEPARTMENT: Connell 10
TITLE: Unit Clerk (1 Temporary Part-Time Position)
HOURS OF WORK: Rotating Shifts
Perform reception and clerical duties to support the operation of the patient care unit, including transcription of physician orders, coordination and timely communication of information and patient flow related to admission, discharge, transfer, diagnostic procedures and consultations as delegated by other members of the patient care team. The Unit Clerk adheres to worker responsibilities as set out in the Occupational Health & Safety Act, hospital safety policies, and dept/unit established procedures at all times. Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston General Hospital strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Assists patients, visitors and the health care team by providing requested information or directing them to the appropriate
· Answers the telephone and nurse call system, relaying messages promptly and efficiently.
· Refers inquiries about patient’s condition to the appropriate health care professional.
· Communicates effectively, maintains ethical standards, and maintains confidentiality.
· Transcribes Physician’s Orders, orders for treatments and/or medications and consultation requests. Communicates STAT orders
to the assigned Registered Nurse. Implements orders for consultation requests, laboratory and diagnostic procedures, including
booking of diagnostics if required, and provides follow-up on diagnostic delays. Completes laboratory requisitions and prepares
appropriate blood tubes.
· Coordinates the transportation of patients, specimens, and materials necessary for patient care.
· Communicates critical laboratory values in a timely manner.
· Communicates and coordinates information and patient flow, in a timely manner, with respect to admission, discharge, transfer, or
death of a patient as delegated by other members of the patient care team.
· Assembles new charts, replenishes forms on patients’ charts as required, checks current and closed charts for completeness, and
files laboratory and diagnostic reports. Ensures diagnostic results are available for clinic visits.
· Schedules unit/clinic appointments and communicates changes to patients. Enters patient care orders, clinic appointments and
registration data electronically as required.
· Prepares reports and requisitions, orders supplies as required, and follows-up on delays.
· Organizes the unit workstation to ensure efficiency and effectiveness.
· Provides orientation to new Unit Clerks and preceptors medical office administration students as requested.
· Performs related duties as assigned.
NOTE: The above duties are representative but are not to be construed as all inclusive.
· Office Administration – Medical Diploma (2 year) or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
· Good organizational skills with ability to problem solve and set priorities appropriately.
· Demonstrated ability to follow instructions accurately, work under pressure and cope with frequent interruptions.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and tactfully with all types of people.
· Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated computer literacy.
· Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology.
· Proven ability to attend work regularly.
· Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position.
Please apply via email, quoting reference number 12-OC-703 to: