Celebrating the reopening of the Watkins wing

Saturday, July 1, 1899

To celebrate the rebuilding and reopening of the Watkins wing in 1899 the board hired a photographer.

While taking exterior shots for the hospital’s annual report, the photographer assembled an impromptu gathering of available staff for a photo. 

Depicted in the photo are nine nursing students, their head nurse, the hospital superintendent - Dr. James Third, the hospital’s first secretary-treasurer (who remained in the hospital’s employ for 58 years), an attending physician, and one of three house surgeons.  Arranged rather awkwardly on the hospital’s grounds where the hospital’s cow grazed, most appear eager to return to work. 

In all, in 1899, there were only 46 staff members including doctors, nurses, servants and a single housekeeper caring for up to 168 patients at a time.