In recognition of the primary importance of patient- and family-centred care to the mission of Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC), the Exceptional Healer Awards are given to a physician and a nurse who demonstrate the following: dignity and respect, information sharing, participation and collaboration.
Who can nominate?
• Patients and family members can nominate a KHSC physician and/or nurse who have provided care to them in the last two years.
• KHSC staff can nominate a physician and/or a nurse on a patient care team.
Who is eligible?
As a faculty member of Queen’s University, the physician nominee will have a current appointment at KHSC and will have been credentialed at KHSC for at least the past two years.
The nurse nominee must be a KHSC staff member.
What are the criteria?
The nominee creates an excellent patient care experience over and above the norm by exhibiting some or all of the following behaviours:
• Demonstrates compassion as a skillful clinician by displaying personal qualities such as approachability, flexibility and empathy.
• Uses novel or innovative methods in attempting to deliver compassionate care.
• Demonstrates a pattern of listening to and respecting patient and family perspectives and choices.
• Exhibits a value of integrating patients and families into the clinical care model to ensure they are equal, informed participants in their health care.
• Honours the uniqueness of patients and families by incorporating their knowledge, values, beliefs and cultural backgrounds into the planning and delivery of care.
What is required for the nomination?
The nominator must complete a brief nomination form that includes yes-no questions and a short explanation of the candidate’s special qualifications for the award based on the criteria listed above.
How can I nominate?
Please complete the nomination form below and submit as indicated on the form.
Nomination deadline is Friday, December 21, 2018.