Our Endocrinology and Diabetes service offers a full range of specialty care options to you and your family if you are experiencing a condition such as:
- Diabetes - Often referred to as diabetes mellitus, this describes a group of metabolic diseases in which you have high blood sugar.
- Hypoglycemia - This is a deficiency of glucose in your bloodstream.
- Lipid disorder - This is characterized by an excess of fatty substances in your blood.
- Calcium disorder - If your body has too little or too much calcium.
- Hypertension - If you have abnormally high blood pressure.
- Obesity - This is when an excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on your health.
The Endocrinology and Diabetes service is split up into two different streams, one that provides care for inpatients and another for outpatients.
If you are admitted as an inpatient, you may be given a room on one of the Medicine floors, which include Connell 3, Connell 9, Connell 10, or Kidd 9. If you are looking to locate an patient who has been admitted to the hospital you can read more on our find a patient page.
As an inpatient, you will receive care from a health-care team that is made up of a number of different individuals. Who is on your team depends on the type of care you require. These interprofessional teams will always include doctors and nurses, but other individuals such as patient care assistants, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and dietitians, just to name a few, may also be involved in your care. As a patient in this service you will also likely be seen by a endocronologist who is a doctor that specializes in this area of medicine. When you are at KGH, you can always count on a range of people to play a key role in your health-care journey. If you would like more information on the types of people you may meet in the Medicine Program, please visit our care team page.
If you would like more information on what to expect if you are admitted as an inpatient at KGH, please see our 'while you are here' page.
As an outpatient, you may be referred to the Diabetes Education & Management Centre at Hotel Dieu Hospital. This centre includes a program for adult patients and pediatric patients and accepts referrals from a health care professionals. You may also self-refer to the centre if you have diabetes and would like more information. The centre will provide you with a wealth of experience in the treatment and management of diabetes. Together, you and your Diabetes Educator will decide on a plan to better manage your diabetes. To read more about the centre and the programs offered, please click here.