The KGH Clinical Laboratories provide a wide range of highly sophisticated laboratory services and consult on a variety of diagnostic, medical, scientific and technical issues. This includes immunology and molecular microbiology testing for renal transplant patients, and molecular diagnostics on tissue biopsies to support precise and personalized medicine for cancer patients.
The Laboratory Services User Handbook contains information on all laboratory tests and services that are offered through the different laboratories at KGH. It is available to help health care teams prepare for their patients for tests as well as learn about specimen collection, specimen handling procedures and specimen collection containers.
The Laboratory Outreach program was originally created to organize the delivery of specimens and the pickup of completed reports from community hospitals and doctors’ offices. It grew into a comprehensive service providing technical, managerial and scientific/clinical expertise in laboratory medicine. High quality and personalized service is supported by a single entry point for specimen drop off and a toll-free telephone number for all inquiries from clinicians, institutions and researchers throughout southeastern Ontario. Performance is measured using client satisfaction surveys and regular frequent interactions with clients to identify and address their needs and concerns.
Licensing, accreditation and quality of service reporting
The KGH Laboratory is a fully accredited, licensed, academic hospital laboratory. Our laboratory licence is issued by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and classifies us to perform multiple tests. For a detailed look at our licences, please click on the links below.
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Laboratory Licence 2018-2019
- Institute for Quality Management in Healthcare - Certificate of Accreditation
Requisition forms are used by physicians to order specific lab tests. Listed below are those requisitions that a physician can use to make a request for testing from the KGH laboratory.
- ALK EGFR Detection Requisition KHSC - KGH Site
- BRAF Mutation Detection Requisition KHSC - KGH Site (updated 2017.12)
- Cytogenetics Requisition KHSC - KGH Site
- HDH Routine Core Lab Requisition - KHSC (updated 2017.08)
- HDH STAT Requisition - KHSC
- KGH Routine Core Lab Requisition - KHSC (updated 2017.08)
- KGH STAT Core Lab Requisition - KHSC
- KRAS Mutation Requisition KHSC - KGH Site (updated 2017.12)
- Molecular Genetics Oncology Requisition KHSC - KGH Site
- KHSC-KGH site Molecular Genetics Hereditary Cancer Genetics Requisition (new 2018.08)
- KHSC-KGH site Molecular Genetics Requisition (revised 2019.02.01)
- KHSC-KGH site Molecular Genetics Long QT Requisition (revised 2018.08)
- Molecular Genetics Long QT Memo
- Discontinuing MTHRF Testing (commencing 2019.03.01)
Affiliated academic partners
Queen’s University Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine and the Kingston General Hospital Clinical Laboratory Services have been long-term partners in the provision of high quality laboratory services, research and education. Building upon a strong and well established relationship, these separate and unique departments of the two organizations have developed an integrated mission, vision and values.