What do volunteers do at the Kingston General Hospital site of KHSC? Volunteer placements fall into one of three general categories:
Direct Patient Care
- Provide diversion and support
- Assist at meal time
- Play piano or other musical instruments
- Serve refreshments to patients on dialysis
- Provide support and information to patients receiving treatment at the Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario
Liaison and Information
- Welcome patients and families to Kingston General Hospital and the Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario
- Provide information and directions to the families of patients arriving at our Emergency department and Intensive Care Units
Supporting KGH Auxiliary Retail Services
- Sales and replenish supplies in the Tuck Shop and Gift Shop
- Sell refreshments from a coffee cart in our outpatient clinics, the Emergency department waiting area, and the Operating Room waiting area
- Sell break-open and Ontario Lottery & Gaming Association (OLG) tickets to staff, patients and visitors at the Lottery Booth
- Café Host
- To learn more about the KGH Auxiliary, click here.
At the time of placement, volunteers will receive the list of current vacant shifts to review. To see a complete list of volunteer opportunities at KGH, and the shift days and times that coincide with them, click here.
Click here to learn about volunteer opportunities at the Hotel Dieu Hospital site of KHSC.